If you want to monetize your blog, you have to ask yourself a series of questions, starting with what kind of blog is it, and do you have any readers? If you’re not getting readers at your blog, you might as well put all your money-making plans on hold. Even if you got the greatest pay-per-click program in existence with the highest rates (which won’t happen if you don’t have readers) you can’t make money because there’s no one there to click the ads. Generate traffic first, and then worry about monetizing your blog.
If you have a steady stream of traffic, then the best ways to make money from your blog depend on the type of blog you have. If your blog is a general interest blog, it’s probably harder to make money from that than a specialized niche blog. Of course, if you have thousands and thousands of readers, you can run general advertising for things people typically need like credit cards, mortgages, insurance and very general basic things.
If your blog is general interest, though, no one is coming to your blog searching for cheap insurance, the best way to refinance a mortgage, or a better rate on a credit card. They’re coming to read how you burned the cookies, your thoughts on today’s politics, and the latest celebrity gossip, or whatever you’re blogging about.
But if you pull in thousands of unique visitors over a month, you could still make some money from these kinds of advertisers because a certain percentage of them will click the ads, and a certain small percentage of them might buy. This is a hard way to monetize that requires thousands and thousands of readers.
If your blog is smaller and more of a niche blog, you have many more options. Lots of people use Café Press or other sites that will print custom t-shirts, mugs and items for you. You could have some principle of your blog, your logo, or some great concepts you created printed on these items and link to them from your blog.
You can use the mother of blog money-makers, pay-per-click ads like those through Google and Yahoo. Don’t just sign up and assume it’s all automated, though. You have to watch the ads that show up, the click-through rates, and your pricing. If the ads that are showing up aren’t targeted closely enough and aren’t getting good click-through rates, you’ll get less per click than otherwise .So watch your statistics and make adjustments as needed. These pull off your keywords, so be keyword focused when you write posts.
Affiliate marketing is a top way to monetize a blog, too. If your blog is about how to lose weight, for instance, you can promote a weight loss product or information that has an affiliate program. When people follow your link to that product and buy it, you get a commission. The more narrow your niche, the easier it is to monetize your blog because the people coming there are looking for specific information and products.
Photo Credits: borman818
Originally posted 2009-06-10 05:06:18. Republished by Blog Post PromoterRelated posts:
- Best WordPress Plug-Ins Blogging with WordPress offers users so many choices, including a variety of plug-ins that meet different needs. Some are for fun and others are very...
- Blogging for Money Guide Blogging for money is quickly becoming one of the more popular reasons for why people blog. Setting up a blog is relatively easy and straight...
- Advertising on Facebook If you are not already making use of Facebook as a method of marketing your business or niche, then you are absolutely missing out on...
- How to Get Advertisers for Your Blog If you’ve got a blog with enough traffic, you might want to monetize the space by drawing in advertisers. If your blog is new, it’s...
- How to Increase Blog Traffic With Comments A really great endeavor worth pursuing when trying to learn how to increase blog traffic is to use blog comments in order to attract a...
If you liked this article, vote for it on del.icio.us and stumbleupon.