If you have been in the internet marketing scene at all, even just for a short time, then you are already probably aware of the fact that blogs that are search engine optimized properly tend to achieve greater and faster rankings in search engines like Google than other websites and blogs. The question remains, though, how can your blog best be optimized for Google?
The best blogging platform that is out there right now is called WordPress. It is completely free to use, simple to install, and Google tends to really love it. Here are some of the things that you can do to optimize your WordPress blog in order to achieve high rankings in Google.
1 – First and foremost, do your keyword research.
If you are not doing proper keyword research, then you are going to stand a very small chance of ever ranking high in any search engine, let alone Google. Developing a working list full of viable keywords is absolutely a must. The best tool that you can use to optimize your keywords for your WordPress blog is the free keyword tool that Google offers. While conducting your keyword research, there are some things that you need to consider including the number of monthly searches, the number of optimized websites that are already using that keyword, and how much competition you will be facing.
2 – Next what you are going to want to do is to customize your WordPress blog specifically for search engine optimization in Google.
You can log in to your dashboard, for example, and change the default permalink structure to something that Google much prefers to see. Click on the radio button for “custom”, and type in /%postname%/ — What this will do is change the default structure for the addresses for your posts so that the name of the post will be in the URL rather than the post date or post number. This allows you to optimize your blog posts by putting keywords in your titles, and having those keywords appear in your URLs, which Google pays attention to when determining how to rank you. This structure is definitely much better when it comes to SEO purposes, so if you are not following this permalink structure already, then you need to change it as soon as possible.
3 – The next thing that you need to do is to download and install the “All in One SEO Pack”, which can be found on Google and uploaded to your Plugins folder in your blog.
Activate it from the dashboard, and you will begin to see new ways to improve your rank in Google. This is a neat plugin that can really help out your SEO endeavor if you are willing to download and install it. Make sure that you go to your Settings area and update the ping list under Writing so that every time a new blog entry is posted, the blogging services will be automatically notified.
Photo Credits: jeffmcneill
Originally posted 2009-05-04 05:24:05. Republished by Blog Post PromoterRelated posts:
- Should Casual Bloggers Use WordPress or Google Blogger? One of the most popular hobbies and past times on the internet today has to do with setting up and maintaining your own blog. Blogging...
- Unique SEO Content You are probably already aware of how important link building is, and how important it can be to select the right meta tags, and to...
- Increase Blog Traffic with Google Analytics Are you wondering if it is really possible to increase blog traffic through the use of an analytics tool? How is such a tool going...
- Misspelled SEO Keywords (pt 2) Continued from part one. While it is true that some websites are going to correct you if they think you meant something else, but this...
- The Key to Blogging for Profit In the last two blog posts, we talked about identifying and banking on your strengths, and identifying and banking on your sources of traffic. Any...
If you liked this article, vote for it on del.icio.us and stumbleupon.